Source: ICC – Instagram
Indeed, cricket is deeply embedded in the hearts of countless Indians. It’s more than just a sport; it’s an emotion, a passion, a unifying force that transcends boundaries and unites people from all walks of life. While each individual has their cricketing heroes, today we’ll delve into the remarkable achievements and record-breaking feats that unfolded during India’s stellar performance in the 2023 ODI Cricket World Cup.
Here is the list of records broken by the Indian Cricket Team
- Virat Kohli has become the first cricketer in the world to score 50 centuries in one-day international (ODI) matches. He has scored 100+ runs in 50 different ODI matches. This is the most challenging feat, and Kohli is the first player to ever achieve it.
- Kohli has also broken another cricket record of Tendulkar by scoring the most runs in a single ODI World Cup. Sachin Tendulkar scored 673 runs in 2003, and Kohli has 711 runs in 10 matches of the ODI World Cup 2023. This is an amazing achievement, and it shows that Kohli is one of the best ODI batsmen in the world.
Source: Twitter and ICC- Instagram
- Kohli is a very talented and hardworking cricketer, and he is sure to continue to break records in the future. He is an inspiration to young cricketers worldwide, and will be remembered as one of the greatest cricketers of all time.
- He has surpassed Ricky Ponting to become the third-highest run-scorer in ODI history. Kohli has scored 13,794 runs in 291 ODIs, while Ponting scored 13,704 runs in 375 ODIs. Kohli’s century against New Zealand was his sixth ODI hundreds of 2023, a feat he also accomplished in 2017 and 2018.
- Kohli is also the 19th batsman to score at least 3 centuries in a single edition of the ODI World Cup. He joins an illustrious group that includes Mark Waugh (Australia, 1996), Sourav Ganguly (India, 2003), Matthew Hayden (Australia, 2007), Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka, 2015), Rohit Sharma (India, 2019), David Warner (Australia, 2019), Quinton de Kock (South Africa, 2023), and Rachin Ravindra (New Zealand, 2023).
- In addition to Kohli’s batting prowess, Mohammed Shami has made history as the first Indian bowler to take 50 wickets in the ODI World Cup. Shami is also the fastest bowler to reach this milestone in ODI World Cup history.
- Shami bowled incredibly well in the ODI World Cup semi-final against New Zealand, taking 7 wickets for just 57 runs in only 9.5 overs. This is the best bowling performance of his career and makes him the first Indian bowler to take 7 wickets in an ODI match.
Source: ICC – Instagram
- Shami’s performance also makes him the leading wicket-taker in the ODI World Cup so far, with 23 wickets. He has also broken Zaheer Khan’s record for the most wickets taken by an Indian bowler in a single edition of the ODI World Cup, with 21 wickets.
- To top it all off, Shami is the first Indian bowler to take a five-wicket haul in an ICC knockout match. This is a remarkable achievement and shows that he is one of the best bowlers in the world.
- Rohit Sharma, India’s cricket captain, has made history by becoming the first Indian captain to win 10 matches in a single ODI World Cup. This is an incredible achievement and shows that Sharma is a great leader.
- Sharma has also joined Kapil Dev, Sourav Ganguly, and MS Dhoni as one of only a few Indian captains to lead their team to the final of the ODI World Cup. This is a major accomplishment and shows that Sharma is one of the best captains India has ever had.
- In addition, Sharma has broken the record for the most sixes ever hit in the ODI World Cup. He has hit 50 sixes in just 27 matches, which is more than Chris Gayle’s previous record of 49 sixes. This is an outstanding feat and shows that Sharma is a powerful hitter.
- Finally, Sharma is also the fastest batter to ever score 1500 runs in the ODI World Cup. He reached this milestone in just his 27th inning, which is faster than any other batter. This shows that Sharma is a great batsman and that he can score runs quickly.
- Overall, Rohit Sharma has had an amazing ODI World Cup. He has led India to victory, broken records, and shown that he is one of the best cricket players in the world
- Shreyas Iyer sets a new record for the most sixes hit in an ODI World Cup innings by an Indian batsman, smashing eight against New Zealand in the first semi-final in Mumbai.
- Iyer joins Rahul Dravid (1999) and Rohit Sharma (2019) as the third Indian to score consecutive centuries in an ODI World Cup.
6 achievements set by Sachin Tendulkar that may remain unbroken by Kohli
Source: Sachin Tendulkar – Twitter
Most runs in ODI cricket
Sachin Tendulkar holds the record for most runs in ODI cricket with 18,426 runs, while Virat Kohli has accumulated 13,794 runs. Kohli should score approximately 4,500 more runs to surpass Tendulkar’s record.
Most international runs
In terms of total international runs, Tendulkar has accumulated 34,357 runs, while Kohli has amassed 26,478 runs. Kohli would need to score at least another 8,000 runs to surpass Tendulkar’s record.
Highest runs in Test cricket
In Test cricket, Tendulkar has amassed 15,921 runs, while Kohli has only scored 8,676 runs. Kohli would need to score another 7,300 runs to surpass Tendulkar’s record.
Tendulkar played 200 Test matches in his career, while Kohli has played 111 Test matches. Kohli needs to play 89 more Test matches to equal Tendulkar’s record.
Tendulkar played in 463 ODIs, while Kohli has played 291 ODIs. Kohli would need to play another 172 ODIs to equal Tendulkar’s record.
Sachin Tendulkar has earned an impressive 62 Player of the Match awards in ODI cricket, while Kohli has 41. Kohli would need to win 22 more Player of the Match awards to surpass Tendulkar’s record.
Additional insights from ICC ODI World Cup 2023
ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup INDIA 2023
Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma become the second and third Indians, after Sunil Gavaskar, to score centuries against New Zealand in an ODI match. They join Sourav Ganguly and Rohit Sharma in the exclusive group of Indian batters to score centuries in an ODI World Cup knockout match.
India’s total of 397-4 against New Zealand in Mumbai is the highest score by any team in an ICC knockout match.
The records set during 2023 tournament will serve as benchmarks for future generations of cricketers, inspiring them to strive for greatness and push the limits of human potential. The ODI World Cup 2023 has not only been a celebration of cricketing excellence but also a testament to the unifying power of sport. It has brought people from all corners of the globe together, sharing in the joy of victory, the agony of defeat, and the unwavering passion for the game we love.